The dullness of a foggy day in Mordor
Toledo is steeped and crammed together and so we will take this easy.
We will spend today working our way up through a tiny slice of suburb which is squeezed between the road, river and walls. My memory of it, twenty years ago, was that it was it was a little tired and quite comfortable. It has a somewhat overlooked child’s park which a small boy made some use of. It has grown and smartened itself up a bit and the Air BnB has moved in.
Bar baobab seems the sort of place that will serve us well. The most recent reviews complain the food was not homemade and far too salty. Others disagree.
Let us on to the Parque de infantil. It is no longer the grassy unkempt expansive I remember but sandy and with a smattering of things to tumble from. No one has reviewed it. We may need to put that right.
While baobab was unloved, Kimbo Smash Burger seems to offer almost unearthly delights, with 4.8 stars. A mere two weeks ago elena said ‘I found out about this place through friends, and the burgers are truly delicious. I wanted to order for my daughter, who has celiac disease, and they explained that not all of them could be gluten-free, but they gave us plenty of options. When the order arrived, the delivery guy apologized because it wasn't what they usually serve, since the gluten-free bun "is different," and that they're still working on improving it. But we have to say, my daughter loved it, and the bun isn't the worst on the market; it's just a little small, but considering the large number of burgers, it's a big plus. It's great that a celiac has options in places like this. Keep up the good work, you guys are awesome! ‘
Next door is a needlework shop Espacio Menta. https://www.espaciomenta.es/ Ana adores the place. ‘Personally, I couldn't be more grateful to Espacio Menta for all the love and time they dedicated to my wedding dress. From the very first moment, they understood my style and refined every idea that came up. They made me a spectacular dress, composed of four parts: an asymmetrical organza top as a base, a rustic silk dress with diagonal seams that is truly beautiful, an organza shawl with a very Japanese feel, and another, thinner shawl in case it got chilly in the evening. Every detail was carefully thought out and custom-designed for me, taking into account all the possibilities of that day! I felt like the happiest bride, I was incredibly comfortable, I danced all day and night... I simply can't say enough good things about them. Moreover, the whole process was a luxury: the visits to the atelier, the time spent with the team, the trips to Madrid to choose the most special fabrics, the fittings and adjustments... a wonderful experience that I will always remember. I know I couldn't have chosen better, and I would recommend them a thousand times over!’
We will come out onto the Calle Real del Arrabal just as the city starts. Ahead of us is the Puerta del Sol. Zoran says it all. The Puerta del Sol (Gate of the Sun) is a historic city gate in Toledo, Spain, built in the late 14th century by the Knights Hospitaller. Here are some interesting facts about it: Its name comes from the sun and moon that were once painted on either side of a medallion above the arch.The medallion still remains and depicts the ordination of Saint Ildephonsus, the patron saint of Toledo. The gate was built during the Christian reconquest of Spain from the Moors and was one of the main entrances to the walled city. While the gate itself is no longer there, the entrance remains an interesting piece of Toledo's history.’
I always like a one star review which says nothing about the quality of the site so we will end with Lau Judy’s eight year old zinger. ‘Too much fog, can't see anything, so boring.’
Well, this is the 999th post. I started the Blog so that Sarah, who said she didn't do Facebook, could read it. I wonder if she ever did,
Tomorrow we enter Mordor.
Comments
Post a Comment